Monday, July 26, 2010

Sky

I'm looking through the photos I've taken these last few weeks and seeing some definite themes: birds, clouds, and most of all, sky. Clear skies, night skies, cloudy skies, sunsets... I can't seem to get enough. If you've spent any time at all in Kaohsiung (or any other smoggy Asian city of three million) you probably understand. I'm a Northwest native, and cloudy skies are all right by me, but dull, grey lifeless skies, where you have to chew the air and force yourself not to think about what comes in with every breath... those just take the joy out of being outdoors. I love the brilliant outlines of cumulus clouds on a hot, hot day, and the wet, wispy trails of clouds at sunset when it's been raining. I watch vultures circling high and nighthawks swooping low, quail families that blend in with the terrain and cardinals that stand out like, well, a cardinal in a desert. It's a pageant set against a constantly changing backdrop, and as I get to know the regular characters in this show I'm also getting to know this place.

Next time we'll talk about bugs....

No comments:

Post a Comment